For our springtime celebrations theme I prepared a variation of the traditional Passover dish: haroset. It is basically made with apples, walnuts, cinnamon, sugar or honey, and dates. There are many variations, one of which has sweet grape wine, so I decided to try out a nice, sweet balsamic vinegar instead. And to balance the sweetness, I added fresh lemon juice and a variety of apples–some tart. It turned out quite refreshing!
Apple Walnut Salad
3 medium organic apples—diced (peel if not using organic)
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup chopped dates
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar (one of ME’s bulk vinegars)*
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
* If unavailable you can use regular red balsamic vinegar
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. The longer the salad sits, the more flavorful it will become. Serve cool or cold.
Health Benefits of Apples
- Apples are filled with soluble fiber: (5 grams)
-This fiber has been shown to reduce intestinal disorders, including diverticulitis, hemorrhoids and possibly some types of cancer.
-Helps control insulin levels by releasing sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
-Cleanses and detoxifies, which helps eliminate heavy metals, such as lead and mercury.
- Apple pectin helps reduce cholesterol levels by lowering insulin secretion.
- In two studies researchers found that eating five apples a week lowered the risk for respiratory diseases like asthma.
- According to Chinese Medicine: Apples strengthen the heart, quench thirst, lubricate the lungs, decrease mucous and increase body fluids.
- Apple cider vinegar can help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Studies indicate that eating apples daily can reduce skin diseases.
- According to a Brazilian study, eating an apple before a meal helped women lose 33 percent more weight than those who didn’t.
- An apple has only 50-80 calories and has no fat or sodium.
- Apples are packed with vitamins C, A , and flavonoids and with smaller amounts of phosphorus, iron, and calcium.
- Apples provide a source of potassium which may promote heart health.